Friday, June 27, 2008

Thing #2

Dear Diary:

It's been months since my last posting. So, ok, here we are again trying to work through the 23 Things. I'm finding it a challenge to find the time to explore all of the new Library 2.0 tools that are out there plus the processing and analysis that should accompany any experiential learning experience. What works, what doesn't work for me personally and professionally? Beyond the 23 Things, I've started playing with clicker technology (which my student workers love) for my BIs and Wink to create online tutorials. I'm finding it's like falling into a black hole; it may be hours before I re-emerge because I've found some tangent along the way to pique my interest. So excuse me, Stephen Abram, if it takes more than 15 minutes of my day to learn something new.

Library 2.0 isn't a new concept for me - I've been following the trends, attending workshops, reading books and articles by some of the Library 2.0 gurus. One of the things that I haven't heard or read about is the relationship of Library 2.0 to the digital divide. How do you participate in this social phenomenon if you don't have a digital camera, broadband access or even a computer?

There is an interesting report from UMN's Institute on Race & Poverty called "Digital Justice: Progress Towards Digital Inclusion in Minnesota" (Dec. 2006). The report describes the connection between technology and access to things like jobs and education. Here's a quote from one section that bears directly on libraries:

"As more libraries in Minnesota receive physical makeovers, it is critical that library leaders find ways to integrate technology into the facility’s approach to information delivery. Patrons expect, demand and deserve high-tech library facilities where they can do far more than check out a book. Libraries can be the lifeline to immigrants’ family members in other countries, a safe environment to become more conversational in English, the place where dislocated workers submit online applications for promising jobs, and a place where young people can become “digital natives” who will thrive in tomorrow’s economy. "

Hmmm... more processing is in order.

No comments: